This site uses cookies and other tracking technology to assist with navigation and your ability to provide feedback, analyse your use of our products and services, assist with our promotional efforts, and provide content from third parties.



4 June 2020 | Tagged: School Community

HSOG History department take time to research our Schools incredible history, including the stories of Former Pupils. 

Please read these short biographies of FP's who were killed in WWII. All three were killed during the events of Dunkirk, fall of France and the (very) early stages of the Battle of Britain.

Eighty years ago, a number of dramatic events took place which had a bearing on the future of the free world. In May 1940, German forces launched their attacks on France, Belgium and Holland. Within a few weeks the situation had become bleak. Both Belgium and Holland were forced to surrender while the bulk of the British forces retreated to Dunkirk. Eventually over 300,000 British and French troops were to escape by sea and continue the fight.

It is poignant to realise that not everyone got away.

Lieutenant Thomas James Steven of the Eighth Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, was killed near Dunkirk on May 31st 1940. He had attended the High School from 1912 – 1917, and had also served in the Great War. His name is recorded on the Dunkirk Memorial.

Major Kenneth  McIntosh attended the High School between 1907 and 1914. He joined the Royal Army Service Corps in 1939 and served with the 51st Highland Division in France. Unlike the majority of British troops, this Division did not escape. It was surrounded and forced to surrender to German forces at St Valery –en Caux on June 12th.  Major McIntosh was listed as wounded and missing on June 13th. He was later presumed dead. His name is also recorded on the Dunkirk Memorial.

Flying Officer Ronald Revan McQueen attended the High School between 1926 and 1932. In 1940 he was serving with 94 Squadron of the RAF. On June 27th, his Hurricane was shot down by German fighters over the English Channel. He was pulled unconscious from the water by the local lifeboat. He died a short time later and is buried in the Western Necropolis in Glasgow.

Back to News